ABOUT THE POSITION
IMSolutions LLC is seeking a Project Management Specialist (Water) to provide support to the United States Agency for International Development (USAID) Afghanistan Mission. The incumbent is assigned to the USAID/Afghanistan-Office of Infrastructure (OI). The Project Management Specialist (Water Sector) position serves as the subject matter expert and institutional memory on water supply and sanitation. In this capacity, the Project Management Specialist (Water Sector) supports the Office of Infrastructure, the overall Mission, and the donor community in their efforts to increase access to water and sanitation across Afghanistan. The Project Management Specialist (Water Sector) serves as the main liaison to the Afghan government, donors, and the private sector to improve the technical and operational performance of relevant water and sanitation related government agencies; enhance sanitation service delivery and planning; and improve water and sanitation infrastructure. This includes leveraging USAID and other resources (i.e., donor, private sector) to help the government increase access to water and sanitation. The incumbent liaises with industry and government stakeholders, representing the United States Government (USG) at meetings with mid- and high-level government and private sector officials, and serves as a resident expert on improving access to water and sanitation services.
The position is 100% remote. The start date is immediate.
Project Management and Implementation Oversight (75%)
• Incumbent manages assigned projects/activities and oversees implementation in consultation with the Office of Acquisition and Assistance (OAA) and A/COR. Provides technical guidance and assistance to the A/COR. Ensures effective implementation, identifying issues, and proposing solutions to resolve them.
• Review work plans, reports, and other deliverables; prepares review comments for submission to implementing partners. Monitors responses, identifies issues, makes proposals to resolve them, and monitors implementation.
• Reviews contracts/agreement requirements in consultation with the Office of Acquisition and Assistance (OAA) and A/COR. Monitors contract implementation. Identifies any issues of non-compliance, makes proposals to resolve them, and monitors implementation. Provides technical guidance and assistance to the A/COR.
• Coordinates with USAID contracting staff and with implementing partners (contractors, agreement awardees, and other implementers) to drive projects to completion. Reviews proposals/requests for approval in association with host country counterparts and determines their suitability for funding.
• Manages assigned project/activity closeouts, including reviewing deliverables and contract requirements, recording reviews, identifying issues, making recommendations for correction, and ensuring follow-up. Implements requirements to ensure proper closeout, document disposition, and recordkeeping.
Project/Activity Design and Planning (10%)
• Advises and supports one or more infrastructure activities/projects, including detailed information gathering, project design, and management. The position requires initiative and the exercise of independent judgment in activity planning and the identification of problems and required follow up actions.
• Manages activities from inception to completion and is responsible for all facets of activity/project design and development, including information gathering, needs assessments, feasibility studies, drafting of concept papers and scopes of work, activity budget formulation, evaluation, and closure of major activities and projects.
• Performs all functions related to activity/project design/development in order to ensure a focus on priority areas and areas of emerging needs. Conducts technical analysis as a team member.
• Develops cost estimates, institutional capacity assessments, equipment requirement projections, and training needs assessments.
• Drafts necessary documentation and leads reviews related to activity/project amendments, contracting, and outreach and communication, as well as standard USAID reports.
Project and Program Monitoring, Evaluation, and Learning (10%)
• Develop and refine systems, processes, tools, and criteria for the MEL components of project and activity design and management.
• Plan, design, and implement evaluations in coordination with the C/AORs and the Mission M&E Specialist and assists the C/AORs and OI leadership to integrate evaluation findings into decision making about OI strategies, program priorities, and project design.
• Manage the OI Performance Monitoring Plan by working closely with C/AOR to ensure accurate monitoring and reporting.
• Work with OI C/AORs to ensure activity work plans and monitoring plans include relevant and effective performance measures that provide an accurate measurement of impact and results.
• Review project reports and engage in written and verbal communications with project participants and implementing partners.
• Prepare scopes of work for activities/projects and evaluations teams.
• Prepare evaluation and closure documentation.
• Participate in preparation of the annual performance report which summarizes the achievements and results of the activities, and the operational plan that provides a summary of planned activities.
• Provide project and activity status and achievement updates as necessary for outreach and communication purposes.
• Assist Contracting/Agreements Officer Representatives (C/AORs) in learning from monitoring and evaluation efforts.
Administrative Management (5%)
• Incumbents will perform on an as-needed basis the following tasks as required by the OI management: preparing agendas and materials for high-level visitors and providing input to various requests from the Special Inspector General for Afghanistan Reconstruction (SIGAR).
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS –
• Ability to obtain facility access
• Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field (engineering is required; preferably electrical, civil, or mechanical engineering) and six (6) years of professional work experience OR Master’s degree in a relevant field plus four (4) years of professional work experience OR High School Diploma plus ten (10) years of relevant professional work experience.
1. Prior Work Experience: Relevant engineering and science field and in project/activity management, and project administration and management procedures.
Language Proficiency Requirement –
• Level IV (Fluent) in speaking/reading English, and Level IV (Fluent) in speaking/reading of Dari and/or Pashtu is required.
ESSENTIAL KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS and ABILITIES (KSA’s) –
• Knowledge and understanding of the Afghan government, particularly in the water and sanitation sector is required.
• Appropriate understanding of issues constraining access to water and sanitation service delivery development in the water and sanitation sector is highly preferable, as is an understanding of integrated water resources management, which is crucial to the long-term sustainability of drinking water investments.
• The incumbent must have broad knowledge of current political, social, economic and strategic factors in Afghanistan and a strong understanding of the complexity of Afghanistan’s organizational structure, bureaucracy and the reform processes which are on-going.
• Given this range of responsibilities, the Project Management Specialist (Water Sector) position requires strong project management, analytical, and oral and written communication skills, as well as good judgment, a creative approach to problem solving, and the ability to independently balance shifting priorities in a fast-paced work environment.
• The position requires strong analytical skills, including the ability to identify, locate, analyze, and evaluate relevant quantitative and qualitative data and to carry out technical analyses.
• Ability to assume project management of water sector projects/activities and to manage contractors (and other implementing partners) to complete that work.
• The ability to organize and present project information effectively and objectively in written and oral form is preferred.
• Under limited supervision, must be able to assist in planning, managing and evaluating the project(s) to which assigned.
• Must have strong interpersonal, communication (verbal and written) skills.
• The incumbent must have the ability to establish rapport and maintain contacts with governmental counterparts, private sector partners, and colleagues in technical and support offices within USAID, as well as implementing partner management and staff.
• Must be proficient in the use of Windows, Google, Internet search engines, and e- mail applications and proficient in MS Office skills (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) are required.
• Must be able to work in a team environment and under pressure.
Supervision Received: General technical guidance/supervision is provided by the Infrastructure Office Director and/or his/her designee. Employee is expected to work independently after receiving general guidance, to exercise initiative in identifying tasks that need to be accomplished and to develop approaches and methodologies.
Available Guidelines: Mission policy and procedural directives and USAID handbooks.
Exercise of Judgment: The incumbent must exercise sound judgment in duties, commensurate with USAID guidelines. Specifically, sound judgment must be exercised in providing management oversight to implementing partners, the planning of upcoming technical and budgetary needs of projects, the formulation of potential solutions to implementation challenges, and performance of other appropriate actions to fulfill requirements of the position.
Nature, Level, and Purpose of Contacts: The incumbent is expected to work closely with all staff at the USAID/Afghanistan Mission, up to and including Mission leadership, as well as management and technical staff from implementing partners. The incumbent will also maintain mid- and high-level contacts with Government of Afghanistan, as well as with multilateral and bilateral donors, and leaders in the private sector.
Benefits – IMSolutions is proud to offer a competitive salary, high-quality, broad, and diverse benefits, a generous Paid Time Off plan, and a corporate 401k plan. IMSolutions offers exceptional opportunities to develop a rewarding career. For more information, you can send any questions to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Equal Opportunity Employment: IMSolutions provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws. IMSolutions is an E-Verify Employer.